Shrimp Corn Chowder
YIELD: Serves 6
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth unsalted butter
- 4 small green onions, thinly sliced, with white and green parts divided
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups Simple Truth nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1 pound frozen Simple Truth Peeled & Deveined Shrimp (any size you like), thawed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup Simple Truth half-and-half
- Hot sauce, optional for serving
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven or large, deep saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Lightly pat dry and set aside for serving. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat.
- Add the butter to the pot and let melt. Set aside 1/4 cup of the sliced green onion tops for serving, then add the rest of the green onions. Add the celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender, about 3 minutes, then stir in the garlic, salt, and black pepper. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the onion mixture, then cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk, a few splashes at a time at first, stirring out any lumps. Stream in the rest of the milk, then add the corn kernels, cream-style corn, and cayenne. Stir and bring to a gentle boil. Let bubble until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and continue cooking just until the shrimp are done, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, then stir in the thyme and half-and-half. Serve hot, sprinkled with reserved bacon, green onion tops, and a dash or two of hot sauce as desired.